Friday, August 8, 2008

Wood, Wood, and more Wood

This morning I met with a couple of hardwood floor refinishing and repairs people. We have decided to only choose local people to work on the house, ie, Ventura people. Makes life easier to have them so close by, and I am also afraid some people are padding gas prices into their costs. I found two BBB recommended companies and had them come out ASAP to assess the situation.

Luckily, for us, the house has 2 inch white oak floors throughout, and a Douglas fir hardwood subfloor in the addition and the kitchen. Apparently, we can refinish the subfloor and have it pass as a hardwood floor, just sitting on the joists underneath the house.

Unfortunately for us, we have this area of flooring in the living room that has been damaged by termites and possibly urine. Either way, it is not pretty. We will probably have to splice in new oak slats to match the ones we are taking out.

Here is the problem area:


So far, from what we can see, the rest of the house's floors look to be in pretty good condition. I hope there are no surprises lurking underneath all the carpet!



And now, for More Wood:

I love Craigslist. One person's trash is another person's treasure. As you might have read previously, we have been tearing out the wood paneled room. I believe the wood in there is a knotty pine. We were creating a HUGE pile of it, and I didn't feel right about just throwing it in the dump when it could be recycled (I just didn't know what to make out of it). So, one quick Craigslist posting later, I had not one, but THREE people interested in taking the wood off my hands! After a couple of hours, I had to delete the posting and a very nice person came to pick up all the wood for his new shed.

The pile is getting smaller!

No comments: